Art Aesthetic Appreciation & Analysis

This week I was looking at different forms of visual art or architecture that I enjoy. The piece of art I chose to share with everyone is called Eternal Springtime. This is a sculpture designed, created, and made by the famous artist Auguste Rodin. Eternal Spring is created with such detail and brings it to life. It brings two people together as they slowly disengage from the giant block of raw marble and consume each other. 




Eternal Springtime is currently located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania at the Rodin Museum. I found a few different articles with different dates for when it was modeled and marble sculpted. From my understanding, it was modeled sometime between 1880 and 1890. It was marble sculpted sometime during the early 1900s. The elements of art include shape, size, color, space, lines, and texture. This sculpture has all of the art elements I listed before sculpted into it. To start off with we have the size of the sculpture, it is 28x29x18 in dimensions and weighs 433 lbs. The color of this sculpture perceived by our eyes is white, it is a plaster statue that was then painted white. Auguste Rodin had used a lot of space to sculpt this, he used this space with the shape of the sculpture. You can see the different textures of this sculpture, the details of rough edges at the bottom of the block, and the smooth curves of the people resting on the block. 

I think this sculpture is a beautiful piece of work that shows emotions and tells us a story. When I look at Eternal Springtime I see two people in love. They are resting together on the rock or block while consuming and devouring their love for each other. The nature of this statue is sensuality, compassion, and lovemaking. I personally would love to own it or even a copy. Unfortunately, there are no copies only the original. I would want to own a copy of it so I could put it on display in my own home. Eternal Springtime is beautiful, it reminds me of love and what it could mean between two people. I would want to own it so I could pass by it in my house or just stand there and view it so I could remind myself why love is an amazing thing. 

Google Arts & Culture

Joy of Museums Virtual Tours

The Met

Comments

  1. Great sculpture choice Adeline! I like how you highlighted the transition from the giant marble slab to the kissing couple. I love the fact of how this sculpture contains so many art elements. I specifically notice the visual appearance of the texture. It starts off at the bottom pretty rough and jagged and then the couple's physical appearance is smooth and refined.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

1st blog post ;)

Baroque Appreciation Era

Romantic Era